That ice cream was so fricken delicious. I savored it as Kit Kat attempted to nudge her way in under my spoon arm to get a lick of my delectable dessert. But her annoying persistence did not take away from my enjoyment.
So I finished about half the pint. I’m not going to let myself feel guilty because after this weekend… Yes, starting Monday, July 5th, 2017, I will be embarking on a personal journey towards a healthier me.
And I will be documenting for all to see. On my blog.
Because what better way is there to keep myself accountable than public scrutiny and humiliation… But really, no shame. Unless you’re a hater. But without hate there is no love, is there?
I’ve struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember. I’ve won battles, but still have not won the war.
But at my ‘healthiest’ weight I looked like this:
And I say ‘healthiest’ because I was at the lowest I had ever been and was actually within a healthy BMI range, BUT I had also just been diagnosed with depression not too long ago when I took this photo and was trying out anti-depressants to see which would work best for me. Meaning, the weight loss could have just been partly attributed to a medication side effect. And look how happy I am in the photo. Ha.
But I was never able to find a happy, comfortable medium. I gained some back, and lost it again in time for my wedding, but ballooned back up again. This is me today:
Haha, and yes, I am standing next to giant Smurfs.
BTW, I am absolutely terrified about creating this post and posting these pictures, but hence the name of my blog… I have to get out of my comfort zone to learn and grow, even if it’s horribly mortifying. But gotta go all in, right?
I am giving myself a timeline of a little over a year to do this. My best friend’s wedding is the finish line. And then I plan to maintain my weight… That will be another challenge in itself, but we will cross that bridge when it comes.
So, how will this go, you ask?
Health Challenge Rules (or shall we say guidelines?)
Start date: Monday, July 5, 2017
Hiatus: September 1 to September 20th (vacation)
Approximate End Date: TBD but approximately September of 2018.
- Focus on a low glycemic index meal plan. Low sugar, low carbohydrates, and no alcohol. (Will disclose, though, that I am going on vacation to Bangkok and Hong Kong in 3 months, and I do plan to allow myself to drink then, but then cutting it out again when I get home.)
- Strength training 3x/week
- Cardio at least 2x/week
- If I cannot fit in a work out, I have to at least go for a 30 minute walk.
- If I fall short, I will confess and document it here!
- Progress or hiccups, I will post weekly. I aim to do 1 post a week.
- I will allow myself room to make necessary changes to achieve sustainable weight loss. In other words, this isn’t set in stone, and I won’t beat myself up over mistakes.
- Having said that, I CAN do this and I WILL do it. My goal is to achieve a healthy lifestyle with this challenge, but also to prove to myself I can do anything I want if I just commit to it.
So here it is.
Will it be done? We shall see…
Wish me luck! Cheers!