I officially started my health challenge on Monday to eat clean and be more active in an effort to improve myself physically (and hopefully mentally). It’s only Friday but I’ve already noticed a few things after starting this challenge.
- I’m tired and cranky. I’m not getting the fast energy source from the bad carbohydrates. My body is in a kind of shock, but I’m handling it okay. Even though I feel tired, I don’t have any crazy mid-afternoon crashes. I’m hoping once my body adapts, I’ll have more energy.
- My trips to the bathroom have increased. I have to go number 1 a lot. With no carbohydrates to retain the water, it just goes right through me.
- No more cravings! I say this with a grain of salt. Nobody has locked me in a room with mountains of ice cream and pizza, but for the most part, I am keeping it together. But I do realize it IS only the 5th day…
- My mood has actually been okay. It’s no secret that I struggle daily with depression. I find very little pleasure in doing things and I usually just want to lay in bed and be alone. But I’ve noticed that I haven’t been so up and down in my mood and I don’t dwell as much on things. And considering I haven’t had any ice cream or chocolate AND haven’t murdered anybody yet… Go me! Though the scientist in me also realizes this could just be a placebo effect. I’ll keep this in mind, and report any changes later. But it’s nice to feel almost at peace, even if it is just all in my head.
- I’ve been sleeping like a baby. Sleep has been great. Except for all the times I have to get up in the middle of the night to go number 1 (refer to number 2 above). Not that I’ve ever really had any trouble with sleeping, but I can definitely tell that the quality of the sleep is much better.
- There has been a slight increase in my confidence. It’s probably the fact that I am proud of myself for taking this on, and am successfully following it (so far). Of course, the accountability of having to document everything on this blog is a huge motivator in itself.
- I do actually have a passion, and that passion is for living a healthy lifestyle. I know it’s still early, but I haven’t felt this fulfilled in a long time. But I have to make the time for it. Otherwise, it goes on the back burner and gets neglected. Keeping this blog is reminding me to always be aware and to constantly keep my health on my mind.
- I can make junk food versions out of healthy food. If I want a cheeseburger, I can wrap it in lettuce or have it without a bun. I can have baked chicken wings. Roasted vegetables can taste almost as good as french fries (seriously!). And cauliflower pizza crust is a godsend.
- I wake up in the morning with purpose. I have a job, and that job is to take care of myself. It feels good to be doing that, and making it a priority for once. But I do also have a real full time job, but I work to live, not live to work.
- If I put my mind to something, I can really make it come to fruition. I told myself I was going to do this, and I am. Again, I know it’s only Friday but I was nervous I wasn’t even going to make it through the first day. And I can feel that my will is pretty strong right now. Let’s keep it going!
The next obstacle is surviving the weekend! Will I succeed? I’ll let you know next week!
So there you have it. Likes and comments are also super encouraging, so please feel free! I will keep providing regular updates on my progress.
P.S. I found this really cute tracking ticker!